Z Wave or Zigbee control?

Discussions about how to control LumenCache with smart phones, tablets, and control systems like Savant, Crestron, RTI, Elan g, AMX, Universal Remote (URC), Bitwise Controls, etc. The LumenCache ImPuck and the iPhone/Android app is also discussed here. Protocol specifics are typically discussed in the private dealer forums.
Kris Tibbitts

Z Wave or Zigbee control?

Post by Kris Tibbitts »

Any one with any idea of how to make the system work as either Z Wave or Zigbee. This could fix a lot of the control issues. Most all of the control systems out there can use one or both. I am particularly looking for Z Wave in my application. But if there was some way to use it so that each Zone/Device was considered a Z device, that would make this system super flexible.

I know that there are USB and and add on boards for the Raspberry Pi, I just have no idea where to start. Even if I could be directed to hire someone.

Thanks.

ProSecurity

Re: Z Wave or Zigbee control?

Post by ProSecurity »

I have done a little research on this and definitely think it is doable. I have used a device from Somfy called a ZRTSI that translates their proprietary RF signal into Zwave. It's totally useless for our application but what I found unique is the ability for it to have 16 channels. By using it, we could "create" 16 different zwave devices and learn them into our gateway. Using a rasp pi and zwave plugon module, I don't see any reason why we couldn't create channels that correspond to the device addresses on the lumencache loads and then learn them into a zwave gateway. My biggest concern would be the inherit latency of zwave and controlling that many lights. We have done projects with 50+ zwave lights and it can take close to a minute to "turn off all". However, the fact that we a combining light loads into a multi-channel zwave receiver may actually solve this issue and speed up the process by reducing the number of hops between nodes. I hope to bench test this in the next couple of months and will let you know what I discover.

dc

Re: Z Wave or Zigbee control?

Post by dc »

There's new Tuya.com modules coming this Spring. The first one is a plug in module at the top Comm bus like the EGW that works like the EGW. Another will be like an L2-APR-12W with the Tuya.com Wifi +BT built in. Then just plug in a Tuya gateway and have all the Z-Wave and Zigbee integration.