Hardwired in addition to wireless wall switch

Need help getting a local official to understand and accept your system? Post examples of local zoning laws that are outdated or do not apply to the new reality of LED lighting. Find a regulation that is biased? Discuss compliance issues, regulations, and other laws related to lighting and wiring as they apply to LumenCache.
pfLumenCache

Hardwired in addition to wireless wall switch

Post by pfLumenCache »

The following request arrived via our service email and is best answered in the public forum. Reminder: The fastest way to receive answers to most application questions is by posting them in the forums. Here's the question from Bruce Martin from Oregon:

Do some or all Building Safety Codes require a hard wired on/off wall switch for a room’s one required room light receptacle - in addition to any wireless/remote wall switch? I am talking just about on/off switches, not dimmer switches.

dc

Re: Hardwired in addition to wireless wall switch

Post by dc »

Generally only requirement is: "a light outside each outside door controlled by an inside switch."

California Title 24 has the most strict guidance but I didn't see anything requiring a switch, just "dimming". How it is accomplished seemed up to the implementation, which is great for LumenCache of course. AFIK we meet every piece of Title 24 but I have an engineer checking on that now.

NEC:
(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210. 70(A)(l), (A)(2),
and (A)(3).
(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

Canada:
30-502 Luminaires in dwelling units (see Appendix G)
(1) Except as provided in Subrule (2), a luminaire controlled by a wall switch shall be provided in kitchens, bedrooms, living rooms, utility rooms, laundry rooms, dining rooms, bathrooms, water closet rooms,vestibules, and hallways in dwelling units.
(2) Where a receptacle controlled by a wall switch is provided in bedrooms or living rooms, such rooms shall not be required to conform to the requirements in Subrule (1).

blackbear

Post by blackbear »

I respect both the NEC and local Building Safety authorities!! However neither are up to date enough to specifically deal with use of wireless wall light switches in lieu of hard wired wall light switches. My local authority is open to input if I can provide it. NO wireless light switch manufacturer is willing to tell me what their experience is on this matter!!

My local authority says that everything with line voltage must be hooked into (my wording!) the main circuit panel. Sensible enough. But if the switch has no line voltage then why would it need to be connected (for grounding, etc.)?

I do not want to run line voltage wiring from the circuit box to the light fixture and to the wall switch. 2x the wiring.

So does anyone have any experience where the inspector has ignored the issue, looked the other way or (hopefully not) required the home to be re-wired with line voltage wiring to an additional wall switch beside the wireless wall switch?

Obviously I am not an electrician so please excuse the misuse of some terms!!

dc

Post by dc »

Panelized lighting systems like Vantage or Lutron use low voltage switch controls just like LumenCache. All accepted by building codes. If you are looking to omit a local switch altogether and use motion sensor or other means then some codes may not allow that. Same with battery-operated, usually not allowed because they are not reliable. Wired like LumenCache is fine.