Larry Ott Introduction

(moderated) New members: Say Hello here! News and Events from LumenCache as well as new product announcements.
lpott6

Larry Ott Introduction

Post by lpott6 »

Hello, I am here to introduce myself as a LumenCache user. I live in Colorado and I began my journey about 6 years ago when my wife and I started designing a new house. At the time I was working in the construction industry as t low voltage contractor, i.e. designing and installing audio/video systems, lighting control, networks, automated window treatments and other home automation equipment. I was also designing and implementing “Smart Home” concepts.

The design goals for our house included being high tech and fully automated but also extremely efficient and self sufficient. We planned to be “off grid”. These goals seemed to conflict with each other. We needed equipment to run all of the systems but it needed to be as efficient as possible.

While attending the International Builders Show in Orlando looking for ideas for our new home, I found a small booth called LumenCache. After spending time learning about their approach to lighting, I knew I had found one of the pieces of my puzzle. I signed up as a dealer, bought a demo kit and started learning how to configure and install the system. One of the key features of the system is not needing 110v AC power to run it. I was able to bring 48 volts DC straight from the solar system and step it down to 12 and 24 volts DC to run the LumenCache system. All the lighting, bathroom exhaust fans and USB charging outlets in the house are pure DC, there is no AC to DC conversion at the fixtures or fans. I even converted all of the traditional light fixtures, chandeliers, pendants, bathroom vanities and outdoor fixtures to 12 and 24 volt DC LED bulbs and connected them to LumenCache. This is a very efficient way to run these systems. Other than a few TV locations, there is no 110v AC power in the house above my ankles. Pretty cool!

With the help of LumenCache, my house uses only 24-26kWh of power each day and the solar system generates between 30-40kWh. Not bad for a house that is 8800 sq ft.

My goal now is to work with Derek and his team to share my experiences and help others realize the energy independence I have achieved.

dc

Re: Larry Ott Introduction

Post by dc »

Welcome Larry! What an amazing home you have. Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing your story. Decisions and lessons learned will help others with their projects.