Wiring

Need help getting started with LumenCache products? Ask a friend.
farmluver

Wiring

Post by farmluver »

In the installation docs it states you can use Cat5e or Cat6, insulated or uninsulated wire. Is the any noticable opereating difference in any of these wires?

Also, where can I purchase LCbus wire?

dc

Re: Wiring

Post by dc »

Cat6A has a slightly higher copper thinkness so the wire loss is less than Cat5. For commercial projects or where the lenghts are over 100ft, Cat6 is recommended.

Shielding is not required. I recommend shielding for switch wires that return directly to the PDM or USB outlets. This gives an opportunity for ESD (static shock release) when touching or plugging in a device to charge. Otherwise you'll build up enough charge running around in your socks to really annoy that younger sibling! :-)

LCbus wire is simply 16/2+Cat5. You can find AUDIO-CAT wire everywhere which is 16/4+Cat5. Gives even more flexibility should you use multi-color amps at the panel. Run LCbus wire to a panel next to or below your main panel. Amplifiers for example allow easy termination of the LCbus 16/2 and the Cat5 at the same spot. Everything else is wired inside the panel or from the Amplifier to the PDM.

George Webb

Cat5 product recommendations?

Post by George Webb »

Could anyone share some best recommendations for Cat5 wire product for Lumencache jobs, specifically considering the following:
  • Durability/longevity and quality (jacket and conductors)
  • Snaglessness (ease of installation)
  • Pricing
  • other considerations?
Also same for AUDIO-CAT.

Thank you!

Regards, George Webb (Lumencache newbie)

dc

Re: Wiring

Post by dc »

I've had good experience with WindyCityWire product. Spool in box, good jacket material, good quality copper, terminates easily, easy to mark the wires, and topped off with good service. Contact Justin Hawk. Jhawk@smartwire.com